Saturday, October 20, 2007

Skum Kun by Bounty Hunter


This is one of my favorite Bounty Hunter toys. I don't know much of the background of this particular sculpt, although evidently it was made in reaction to a bootlegging problem in China.


The Bounty Hunter Kuns were pretty popular, and pirated versions of them were popping up... some of which had been changed. This pissed off guy was designed and his hands were made to look like one of the bootlegged pieces.

Then again, this could all be incorrect, and it could just be another toy in my strange little collection with no story other than it's more shit to buy.

Header //N/A//:

The same Bounty Hunter clear plastic bag.


Sculpt //3.75 out of 5//:

While having is obvious similarities with the Bounty Hunter Kun character, this piece has some definite differences, as you can probably see.

There is a departure here from as cartoony a form, as this Kun goes for a more streamlined body so to speak. There are no ribs, but rather a Punisher like X-skull icon on his chest and hands.I'm not sure of the significance (if any) of these symbols.

The teeth are more rounded and even than other Kun releases, and obviously the eyes have changed from their original simple round shape.

The biggest difference for me are the changes to the hands and arms. This figure's arms are much longer than I have seen on any Kun, and they are articulated at the wrist as well as the shoulder, which adds a dimension to this piece's posing and look. I really like the hands on this piece, but it's possible they were made to stand out like this since the bootleg versions hand such different hands than the original BxH Kuns.

The figure is well balanced and has a very nice, matte surface that softens it.

However, this matte surface is very prone to scuffs and fingerprints.

I would have liked to seen a flush joint at the waist as opposed to the larger sized lower half that makes it seem like the figure is wearing big pants. But all the Kuns have this same design, so I guess it is intentional.

Paint //4 out of 5//:
Besides the eyes and symbols, there is no paint... but what is there is clean and very effective.

Coolness //5 out of 5//:
The sleek and angry appearance of this toy makes it very cool in my book. It's different without being out there.

Also, the fact that it probably a bootleg of a bootleg makes it even cooler.

Value //4 out of 5//:
I don't know if this is one of the more popular Bounty Hunter toys, so it can still be found for close to retail. Pretty good deal considering...

Overall //5 out of 5//:
Positives: Bootleg of a bootleg, looks like a zombie, nice soft black appearance, photographs well

Negatives: clown pants, easy to scuff

Even if the little background I know if made up/false, it's still a cool enough story for me to really appreciate this figure. I really like how it differs almost completely from the other Skull Kuns, yet still is recognizable as one. I know my points don't seem to average out to this high overall, but this one just for some reason hold a special place with me.



No comments: