Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's time for a new theme... and an elbow to the face

Well, instead of doing a whole theme month again, I've just decided to roll into another series of films sharing a common theme, this time being PRO-WRESTLING.

Yes, wrasslin has officially come to Assorted Loaf!

For those that may not know, pro-wrestling holds a special place in my heart. One of the earliest "sports" I ever watched (college basketball and Major League Baseball being the others), it hooked me early and has stayed with me. While I don't keep up today like I used to, just the memories I have of the magical 1980s is enough to keep the flame burning.

I know it's ridiculous, but something about it to this day remains intriguing to me. From the over the top stories, to the in=ring performances, to the backstage politics and real life personalities, I still to this day search out information and older matches. (YouTube is a fantastic resource for anyone wanting to learn more about Japanese pro-wrestling in particular.)

Professional wrestling in cinema has its ups and downs... but mostly downs. But that's what I am here for. Most of the films I will cover will be American, but I suppose that is fitting since the sport has been largely an American invention and convention for so long. The highest quality professional wrestling may be in Japan now, but the heart and soul of it all, the glitz and glamour and sequins and gloriously hairy (now waxed!) chests will remain here at home.

So enjoy my holiday gift to all my loyal and new readers...
Pro-wrestling cinema!

2 comments:

Matt-suzaka said...

NO HOLDS BARRED!!!

pickleloaf said...

i just did a google image search for no holds barred and this was near the top of the results

what the fuck

http://radosh.blogspot.com/schwarzenekkid.jpg