Friday, April 23, 2010

It's time for the Trench

TrenchARD that is.

Tonight I watched the fantastic documentary about Ozsploitation films... or genre films from Australia and typically about Austraila(ns)... Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! and there was quite a bit on a Mr. Brian Trenchard Smith. Trenchard-Smith is a director I have not really given a fair shake to. The only film I have seen by him (gasp) up to this point is 1988's Day of the Panther.

It was decidedly not my favorite martial arts film. Probably wasn't even my favorite that I watched that day!

I've had people tell me and heard on various podcasts and such that I really should see more. Well, now's as good a time as any I guess; I've been sitting on a few for awhile. Fresh off the heels of the testosterone oozing Actionfest this past weekend, I'm still chomping at the bit for more shit blowing up, cars crashing, and people defying death.

These will all be films released before Day of the Panther in 1988. Who knows, maybe in the past year I could have changed my opinion on that film as well.

So I'm declaring it now BRIAN TRENCHARD-SMITH MONTH on Assorted Loaf!!

Did you wet your pants?



Just a little?



I suppose I'll cover some of his "hits" in chronological order... we'll see. Let's hope I can turn around my initial Trench impressions. (From some of the crazy ass stories they told in Not Quite Hollywood, I'm not sure now that will be a problem)

You don't mind if I call ya Trench, do ya buddy?

3 comments:

Simon said...

I've seen it. It's kind of awesome.

James said...

he directed Leprechaun 3. You should watch that. hehehehe

pickleloaf said...

haha yeah
there seems to be a definite drop off after Dead End Drive-In